Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Transitions - a personal poem ...

Transitions …

I'm in a spiritual transition of some sort ...
Hard to put into words ...

Wright's latest book, "Justification" impacted me deeply ...
The anxious Middle Ages shaped the Reformation ...
A "get saved" sort of deal - to put the conscience at ease
Not by works, that's good, I suppose.
But by faith, that's good, too.

Bring peace of mind to the soul.

But where's the Abrahamic covenant? Wright's question!
It's as if we traded covenant life for religious jargon, mumbo jumbo.
The salvation churches - all about going to heaven,
And personal purity, whatever that may mean.
But no covenant living.
No care for the garden.
No blessings to the world.
Dirty water, who cares, as long as I can buy bottled.
Terrible working conditions, who cares, as long as I have my office and my SUV.
Health care denied to millions, who cares, because I can afford it.
And besides, I have Jesus.
My soul brims with Jesus joy.
Jesus love.
Jesus life.

Just self.

For me,
The whole Christian thing seems increasingly corrupt.

I've become a universalist.
So let's relax on the heaven thing.
Let's get serious about earth.

Oops.
Dangerous.

Don't tell that to the wealthy, the powerful.
Tell them how good they are.
They're chosen.
Believe in Jesus.
Write a check now and then.
Go on a mission trip.
My, ain't you good!

We need to be Jews who believe in the Messiah.
To have become "christian" - gentile religion - we lost the world
And gained a whole new dimension of self-interest.
And it feels good.
So, preach on preacher.
Tell me about heaven.
And how I'm chosen.
And it's good to be charitable.
But let's not change how the money really flows.
Let's keep it the way it is.
The poor are poor.
The rich grow richer.
God be praised.

Oh well ...

So it goes.

© Tom Eggebeen

1 comment:

  1. great piece Tom. It captures so well the unfortunate reality of our times - a good commentary on American politics as well as the reality for a very large segment of American Christians. It's curious (or not) conservatives I know who aren't Christian but whose political and social views completely line up with those of far right-wing Christians - theories, easy-to-understand, a bullet-point life. Funny I saw this today. I have a piece I'm working on with the same sentiment...

    ReplyDelete