Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I Like My Kindle, But ...

I like my Kindle.

I use it a lot ...
The Daily Lectionary and the Poem of the Day.

Lots of books, which take up no space;
An important truth when living in a tiny apartment.

If I'm doing the liturgy, I put my prayers on it.
And the many weddings I do.
It's a great tool; I like my Kindle.

But ... (and you knew this was coming).

My wife gave a hardcopy of "Hillbilly Elegy."
And with pen in hand (needed item for me to read),
I'm enjoying this very good book.

Having spent nearly two years in West Virginia,
With the West Virginia Mountain Project, a
Presbyterian Mission started by some women who
Came into the Mountains on mules.
At the turn of the century.
The last century. Ha!

The book touches on so many levels. Describing
Behaviors and values that I encountered in them thar Hills.
And have never forgotten.

But, all that aside (this isn't a book review).
It's fun reading hardcopy.
Underlining easily, making margin notes.
Flipping pages back and forth.

Am I old fashioned?
Who knows.

But this I know for sure.
I like my Kindle.
But ...

I love the feel of a book.
It's heft, it's substantiality.
The way it looks setting on the counter.
And seeing what I've underlined.

In purple ink, no less.

1 comment:

  1. I do all of that with my Kindle. I don't buy a hard copy unless it is not available digitally.
    I usually leave lots of margin notes and highlights. The Kindle is a lot less heavy than a book.

    ReplyDelete